Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

stART--The little mouse, the red ripe strawberry, and the big hungry bear



That is a long title for a book, but it sure is fun to read.  To go along with our red theme this week, we all enjoyed reading this book and making a big red strawberry at the end.  Then, I let the kids decide how they wanted to "protect" their strawberry from the bear. 


First we started out with some red construction paper, and a small piece of green foam for the top leaf.
Then I drew a strawberry shape on the red paper for the kids to cut out.
 
 I traced a leafy pattern on the green foam and cut it out for him.  Then they put some dots for the seeds.
  
 Then, they chose how to disguise.  For the smallest tot, I chose for him to cover it in a blanket, so I just gave him some sticky back fabric to put on his strawberry.
  
 My 3rd grader loves this story so she couldn't pass up doing the craft with us.
  
 She chose to draw the glasses and mustache disguise like in the book to trick the bear from getting her strawberry.
 

The kids really enjoyed making this, maybe because they love strawberries so much and can hardly wait to eat them again.

To see more fun stART ideas go see A Mommy's Adventures !


Home schooling one day at a time--as long as it takes

Desiree

9 comments:

Mama to 3 Blessings said...

too cute! What a nice job cutting too! I love the face your daughter made on her strawberry! :)

Elise said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it.

That is a sweet photo of your son, concentrating as he is cutting around the strawberry - he is doing such a great job too.

I like that you were able to differentiate this craft activity to suit all of your children.

throughtheeyesofchildren said...

we love this book! cute strawberry cute disguise face on it

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very sweet. I love it when the "big" kids join in, and add to the "little" kids' activities.

Wonder Mom said...

I have been inspired by this idea- I do believe my kiddos are going to need to disguise bananas on Monday...

Too fun!

Rebecca said...

My daughter LOVES this book!

Michelle said...

This is one of Emily's favorite books she cries every time we have to return it to the library. The next time we borrow it, we are going to make one of these strawberries. They came out so cute, thank you for linking up!

Izzie, Mac & Me said...

Very cute...we haven't read this book. So, it will be going on our list to read!

vanessa said...

It's such a fun book. I love the pic of your little one looking at the strawberry.