Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our week

Workboxes:
 I don't have pictures of all the boxes we had this week.  These are just a few of the interesting ones.  I love that you can put just about anything in these boxes, and that's what I did last week.
Preschool boxes:
The leapster is something A3 is still trying to figure out.  He needs my guidance to really get some things, but really he loves just having his own personal electronic thingy to manipulate in his hands.
These are alphabet letter books.  My hope was to get A1 (or A3 if he wanted to) to put them in order.  I sang the alphabet to A1 as we laid each letter out.

Okay, this was one of those boxes where I just put stuff together to see what would come of it.  My thought was to make 10 little leprechauns with the hats that are numbered 1-10. 
 This is what we ended up with.  He used the circle stencil to make the heads, and I also put in googly eyes for him to make faces.  Like I said, this was a very "lets get creative" type box :-)

3rd grade boxes:
Missy started learning how to measure angles with a protractor this week.  She picked it up really fast and seems to really enjoy it.

These are the notebooking sheets for the small salt study she did.


This is a little Olympics activity book that I printed up from Enchanted learning.





Finally, here is a book with little stories to read, and then she answers questions to see what she understood.  It's not my favorite book (nor hers), but I think it's going to be a lot like the test she will be taking in May.  This is the year that she is required to take an aptitude test (I think that's what it's called), whatever the state tests they do at the schools she has to take this year.  Anyway, I give her this  book to help her get used to the multiple choice, reading comprehension style tests.


United States postcards:

We have gotten the first 4 postcards from the postcard swap!  Miss A8 absolutely loves receiving those cards, and it has been neat to see what we get.  So, for each state she fills out a state report.  She uses this book to find all the information:



And, she marks each state on this map:

Salt Study:

We joined Handbook of Nature study in the winter salt study, but it was really fast.  It was so neat though to realize how such a simple thing as salt can be such an interesting thing to watch and learn about.  Miss A8 really enjoyed this study.
 
First we did the salt evaporation study by putting salt into water and watching it dry out to see the salt crystals.  It was neat to see them turn into crystals.  It took about 6 days.  To find complete details on how to do this study  you can go to Handbook of nature study and find the winter study series.
  

 
Then we made up another experiement to do with the rock salt that was in the pantry for making ice cream.  We put some ice cubes on the salt to see what it did.

Then we started a colored salt jar, but this is as far as we got because we ran out of salt.

Finally, I had miss A8 do some copywork, she copied the scripture from Matthew 5:13.

Other fun things and favorites (from the week):

Here are some other random pictures from the week that I really liked:
 

Miss A8 wanted to take a picture of her doll after she did her hair.

Aric (I think I'm just going to call them by their names from now on), playing with his cars.  I love this picture of him.  He just looooooves cars and trains.

This was a Dr. Seuss hat I had for the kids to color, and we read a few Dr. Seuss books.

On the back of April's cat in the hat picture I had her write some details about the book we read.

This was April's favorite workbox from the week.  I put a note in the workbox to find and collect all the Dr. Seuss books that we have (because I wanted to gather them but didn't really feel like looking for them, but she was glad too!).  Thankfully she was excited to do this, and we realized we had a lot of Dr. Seuss books.  I didn't realize we had so many!  Then she had them all in one place to read in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday.  I also put in a fact sheet about Dr. Seuss for her to read.

Can you guess what this is?  I am very excited about this!  It is my new garden bed.  I am finally going to start a garden!  I have been thinking about this for a while, and I mentioned to hubby that I'd like some garden boxes to start out with, and he made it happen.  I can't wait to get started with them, and the kids are going to get to do it right along with me.


Homeschooling one day at a time--as long as it takes!

1 comment:

KJ said...

I want to start a garden, but have NO idea where to begin! That is going to be great!

As for saying their names now, I've been going back and forth with what to do on my blog. I only use their first letter as of now, but I catch myself all the time typing their names. A lot of times I don't catch it until after it's been posted awhile.

I enjoy your blog!