Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

stART--10 little rubber ducks

This is a new addition to our library of books at home, Eric Carle's, 10 little rubber ducks.  For our stART activity Miss April read this book out loud to everybody.  She did very well, she's going to be a great storyteller someday!  She added cute little voices, and emphasis where needed.  Very fun!!  And, she even kept the attention of Aric through the whole book.

This book is about a box of ducks that falls off a freight ship and 10 little ducks drift all over the ocean.  The ducks meet different animals, and finally at the end one little duck ends up at a very special place.  And, if you get the hard back version like we have, there is a little invisible button under the duck that when you push it squeaks.  It is based on a true story of a real happening when some freight of bath toys fell of a ship some years ago (I didn't know that when I bought it).  Very cute book.


This is a pretty simple art project.  First we painted a blue background, this was done previously for a different project that never happened, so I was very glad to to find a use for it.  Then I gave each child a sheet of 10 ducks.  Aaron tried cutting them out, but ended up handing the sheet of ducks to me, they were are little small.

Aaron's picture:
I also let them break out the new glitter glues that we bought from Lakeshore learning.  They really wanted them, and it added a little sparkle.

April's picture:
 She said her's was the stormy sea.

Aric's picture:
I love the simpleness of his.  He only had 5 ducks (mostly because that was all that was left, and I knew he wouldn't care).  He loved squeezing the glue and putting the ducks on the glue.  You'll also notice that he put some squares of tissue paper on too, those were from a different project, but some pieces ended up on the floor nearby.
For other great art and books go check out A Mommy's Adventure's.

Homeschooling one day at a time-as long as it takes.


11 comments:

Brandon and Angela Hoopes said...

Eric Carle is my all-time favorite children's book author/illustrator! I even did a 10-pg report on him in college! Anyways, I love all of his books b/c he does special things with them that really capture the children's attention (and the adult's!)

Playing by the book said...

It's lovely to see how each child's picture differs from the others. I always enjoy seeing how what is nominally the same project done by different people can turn out quite differently. And Eric Carle is always a winner isn't he!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I heard about the original ducks, in an environmental documentary, but how cool to have a children's story about it - I love the kids ducks on the ocean, too - very nice.

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

very cute idea! I am new to your blog, and I am now following! I invite you to come over and check out my homeschooling blog!

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness- these are ADORABLE!!

Stacy said...

So simple and so cute! We love this book too!

Char said...

What a cute book and craft. My little girl loves ducks. In fact she just ran by me yelling "duck." Haha I will have to go get this book from the library. I am now following your blog.

sbswtp said...

What a fun project. Ryleigh really likes this book too :) So great that all three could work on the same project!

melaniet42 said...

Great project - it really looks like fun!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I LOVE the stormy sea. Fabulous!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Ducks are always fun! Did you sing the Rubbie Duckie song? That one always pops into my head every time I see a rubber duck.