Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

In my laundry room

I made this cute little sock wall hanging when I first was married.  That was almost 13 years ago, and it has been hanging in my laundry room (wherever that has been) ever since!  I was thinking about that the other day, and thought I'd better get a picture of it finally.  I just love it.  It reminds me of laundry, babies, love, and everything that makes a home beautiful.  Not that I always love my laundry:-) 

P2270325

Then, I got to thinking it would go great with my homemade laundry soap endeavor.  I finally made my own laundry soap tonight!  I have been planning to do this since I learned how to almost 2 years ago at a church ladies activity.  Can you see now why my blog is named what it is?  I get to things...eventually.  Some sooner than others.  So, ignore the butter and other odds and ends in this picture.  These are the basic ingredients (except for the bar of soap), and the recipe.
P3020401
April LOVED helping me.  She was all over this project.  I started her with grating the bar of soap, and then while the soap was melting she was stirring the other ingredients in the 5 gallon bucket.
P3020400
Melting the soap...
P3020402
We now have 5 gallons of homemade laundry detergent.  I hope it works!  I've never used homemade stuff before, but it sure is cheap!  Oh, and the best quote from the whole thing was from Aaron.  He was asking us what we were doing like "why would you make your own laundry soap?" He then figured out that it was because we wanted to save a little money, and use our own homemade soap.  So, he walks over to Daddy and says:  "Hey Daddy, Mommy is starting to save some money!"  I guess I wasn't before.  It was cute.
P3020403

This last picture was from right after we finished.  It doesn't look like the soap dissolved completely so it's just sitting on the top, but it says to let it sit for a day and then stir it again.  We shall see how it goes!

No comments: