Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Christmas fun in December

Can you believe it???

christmascountdown_reddamask


With Christmas only a few weeks away I have started thinking about some of the things we are going to do in the days leading up to Christmas.  I love to find new traditions and continue old ones with my kids each year, and it seems as if the calendar is already filling up!  I just wanted to share some things I hope and plan to do with the kids throughout the month of December, maybe you'll find some new ideas too!

Christmas countdown fun:

  • For our Christmas countdown this year we are doing the Discover Christmas activities from the Discover the scriptures website.  It has stories and activities for each day of December, and the stories teach the true meanings behind a lot of what we do for Christmas now. 
  • Socks Christmas countdown
  • This is the countdown we did the last few years, the kids love it.  We won't do it this year, but wanted to put it up because I think it is such a fun idea.  We've also done a book Christmas countdown, where the kids get to open a new book each day.  You really have to plan ahead for that one though, it can get spendy.
     Tot packs and lapbooks (for the homeschoolers)

    • Merry Christmas Tot pack This is a fun learning tool that I think Aaron will really enjoy.  It has some counting, matching, coloring, and games.  I already have it printed, I just have to get it all organized.
    • Felicity's Surprise lapbook April will be working on this lapbook, and I will post pictures when she is done.  Felicity is her favorite American Girl character.
    Christmas family time

    • Family Christmas devotionals  I love Sophia's primary ideas, and happened to come across her Christmas family devotional ideas.  This particular link will take you to her C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S letter/picture devotionals.  There is a picture and a Christ-like quality to go with each letter that helps the children learn more about Christ.  I thought there were some cute ideas.
    Crafts

    • Christmas Choir craft This is a cute toilet paper roll craft from Family Fun that I think would be fun to do.  
    Christmas wish lists

    • Christmas wish list Did you know that you can make a wish list on Amazon.com?  This is our family's (mostly the kids) wishes.  I really am trying to take the focus off the toys this year though, they already have so many.  I like this amazon wish list because I can put on there specific things that we'd really like.
    Traditions

    • Minivan express We started this one last year, and the kids loved it.  Basically we surprise the kids one night with tickets to ride, popcorn, and hot chocolate in the pajamas driving in the van while going to look at Christmas lights. I'm excited to do it again this year.
    • Salem's Riverfront carousel We like to go ride the carousel at Christmas time, and hopefully get to see  Santa too!  Anyone want to go for a ride on the carousel with us?
    So, there you have it.  Looks like December is going to be a busy month!  Makes me happy!

    No comments: