Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's on my mind today? Homeschool and the K12 program

We went for a long drive this morning to the skating rink for the preschool skating time (which my boys loved), and this is what I thought about for the whole 30+ minute drive:  What to do for school next school year?  I will have 2 school age children next year, so this has actually been on my mind for a few months.  Aaron will be Kindergarten age, and so I am trying to decide what to do with him.  And, for that matter April also.  She will be in 5th grade next year, and wants to come back home.  I am not entirely sure Aaron is ready for a full school day and structured setting.  I want so much to homeschool both, but I question myself.  Can I do it again?  The answer I keep getting is yes, and that I should.  I truly miss homeschooling, it really is something I enjoy, and brings me great joy.  But, I think I lost confidence in myself a little, and really need some of the break that school gives (although not entirely), and so I worry a little bit about doing it again, but as I pray about it and think about it I feel reassured in a lot of ways.

At this point, I am definitely leaning more towards homeschooling again, but I have to have a plan, and more tools and resources.  I am looking into doing the K12 program, which is an online public school, and feeling really good about it.  Basically, it's public school at home, which I am not too sure about, but they provide all the materials you need and some direction.  I think that's a lot of what I lacked in our homeschool was direction, and motivation.  I think having this might help.  We even went to one of the K12 events that they had before Christmas to get a feel of what kinds of opportunities are available and get more information.  It was at the ice skating rink,and it was pretty awesome.  The kids all brought gingerbread houses that they made.  They had a room where the kids could put all their houses on display, and everyone ooohed and aaahed at each other's houses.  Then they had a few hours to ice skate, April LOVED this.  She went to school late this day because I wanted to make sure to take her so she could see too.  It was a fun opportunity

PC087391

PC087390

PC087387

PC087386
Even Aric made his own gingerbread tree, which he was very proud of.
What's on your mind today?

No comments: