Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Nature Explorer's club--The Oak tree

We're back!
We had a week of vacation last week so that is why I haven't posted anything for a while. It was such a nice break, and we didn't do much by way of school, but now we're back to school and back to life.

The Oak tree
This was the nature assignment from 2 weeks ago, but we just got around to doing it today, grin. So, technically we've missed the "deadline" for this one ;-) But, I really loved the idea of looking at an Oak tree, and learning about it, so we still did it. I guess since this is our first time joining Jennifer over at Blissful moments for her nature explorers club I want to say thanks for letting us join and we look forward to joining as much as possible.

Finding an Oak tree in our lovely little city was a little tricky. I think our city leaders love maples, but finally we stumbled upon this lovely beauty today near downtown where the older part of town is. I'd also like to point out that all through our vacation and trips to various places I pointed out an oak to the kids and brought their attention to one every time I saw one because I knew that we would do this assignment when we got back.

P9274082


I love fall! I love seeing all the colors of the leaves, and walking through them. Not a lot of leaves have fallen yet, but here are a few of the leaves, on the ground, from the tree we looked at
At first glance seeing these leaves I thought for sure that it was an oak tree, it looks just like one. But we didn't find a single acorn around this particular tree, so I wondered if maybe we were mistaken. This is an Oak, right?
P9274083


My littlest explorer looking up at the huge tree! Amazing!

P9274085

This is green flyer making an "o" for Oak with the acorns. This boy loves acorns! He wouldn't let those things out of his sight. Oh, and these are the acorns that we collected from 2 other trees (remember, no acorns around the tree we looked at) that we walked by on our walk, we just couldn't look at those trees because they were in people's yards.
P9274077

He wanted to draw the "o" himself. Notice the 2 different types of acorns? I thought that was interesting that 2 trees, both oaks, produced 2 different looking acorns.
P9274075

"Watch my acorns, please!"
P9274079


Here is Miss Pink flyer, her job was to trace the leaves. We also had 2 types of leaves, rounded, and pointy (again, collected from the other trees we passed).
P9274076

Mr. Blue flyer wanted to get in on the coloring action too!
P9274081

And, finally one of my favorite pictures, pink flyer reading her book in a nearby tree (much smaller and not an oak) that she climbed. We had just walked from the library, and she thought that it was pretty funny that her book was about a tree house and she got to read it sitting in a tree. She said that she could have sat there all day in that tree (that girl loves trees!)
P9274086

Photobucket

To see what others did for their Oak tree (or other tree) explorations go here.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What beautiful kids! I am so glad you joined us for the Nature Explorers Club. Life is settling down here, so I hope to start up again this weekend.
The oak leaves that were pointy are in the red oak family and the rounded leaves were from the white oak family. There are so many different types of oaks and the best way to tell them apart are their acorns, their leaves and their bark.
I hope you will join us again, I look forward to seeing what you do next.