Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's day fun

I always forget how fun it can be to have a little St. Patrick's day fun...

One of my friends mentioned on her blog how much they love St. Patrick's day, and she made this cute little sign for her mantle that says:  "We are a lucky family".  I thought it was so cute, and such a fun way to think of the family for St. Patrick's day.  So I made one too.  Thanks Emily for the idea.  Mine's not as cute as hers, but I threw it together real fast so we could have it for Family Home Evening.  All the kids really liked it.

P3147895

so, I made that our theme for FHE this week.  I had the kids go through the house and find something that showed why we are a "lucky" family.  April brought back a picture of her and her brothers, and talked about how she's lucky to have brothers.  Aaron brought back his football cards (I don't think he really got it), but I helped him and said how he was lucky to have a sister who put together his Football card book.  Aric didn't get it either, but I had him grab the first thing he could find.  He brought back a truck that he got for Christmas from Uncle Marc, and with his we talked about how we are lucky to get such cool presents for Christmas.

After that, we played this game.  Don't eat Pete (or the leprechaun).  Emily is very inspiring for me this week because she also had don't eat pete on her blog, and I thought my kids would enjoy that too.  So, I searched and got "lucky" (ha, ha) and found a leprechaun version here.  It's hard to find games for ALL my kids to enjoy because of their ages, but this one was very fun.
P3167901

Then we ate these...they were pretty yummy!
luckysquares


Now, it's the night before St. Patty's day, and the kids have made leprechaun traps!  So, they went to bed in hopes of catching themselves a leprechaun tomorrow.  Well, I didn't do much, but I staged a little visit from some leprechaun's.  Here's April's trap.  I just fiddled with the trap a little, emptied their bag of "leprechaun food", and made some footprints.  I also trailed green party string to show the path the leprechaun took.
P3167899
This is what I put in their little clover bags that had  the "leprechaun food"... A note from the leprechaun, a green dollar bill, and some cute pictures.  I don't have any gold coins, so I had to use the dollar bill.
P3167896
Here's Aaron's trap.  The traps don't look like much, but the kids put a lot of thought into them.  Maybe next year we will get to make some cooler ones like this hat trap.
P3167897
And, these are the Shamrocks the kids made this morning.  Not much, just a fun craft.
P3167900

Happy lucky St. Patrick's Day!!

No comments: