Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Brown paper Christmas stockings and paper poinsettia's

So, I have been trying to do something every day with the kids that has something to do with Christmas whether it be a craft, making treats, watching a Christmas movie or going somewhere fun.  We are also doing a lot of Christmas fun during Tot school/Preschool time.  It has been a busy few weeks, and I think I'm starting to get tired.  But, we have been having fun, and our walls are filled with some cute homemade things.

One night we made these brown paper Christmas stockings, I found the idea at Enchanted learning.
First I found some brown construction paper, and drew a big stocking on it.  Then the kids used some rolling paints.  I think these turned out looking very southwestern-ish.
PC097401
Here is April with her swirls and lines.  She liked these roll on painters.
PC097400
After they were done decorating and the stockings were all dry, I cut them out, punched holes, and they sewed the edges.  Aaron had more patience for this than I thought he would.  In fact, he loved it.  I think he thought it was pretty cool that he was learning how to "sew".
PC107405
He stuck with it until the end.
PC107406


Here's Aaron's finished stocking.  This was a fun project for all 3 of them.  Aric even liked trying the sewing, but I had to finish the sewing for him. 
PC107410

To go along with the Southwestern theme of those stockings, I thought our Poinsettia craft night should be next.  Did you know that the popular Christmas tradition of Poinsettias came from Mexico?  We learned all about the poinsettia and this craft from the Discover Christmas pack.  April probably got the most out of this night's craft, she thought it was all very interesting.  I love the details she put on her paper poinsettia.
PC107408
April's finished poinsettia.
PC107411
I also checked out a book to go along with this craft called "The Legend of the Poinsettia".  April really enjoyed reading this story.  It's about a girl who lives in Mexico and the Poinsettia.

legendpoinsettiabook


Aric decorated his poinsettia a little bit.  He knew it was a pretty flower, and that it matched the poinsettia plant we have .  I don't think Aaron even did a poinsettia, he wasn't too interested in it.  I glued and decorated his for him, and I made one myself too. 
PC107407

Makes me happy!

No comments: