Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tot school--starting back up

Tot School

Aric is 25 months old

I realized recently how much I missed doing tot school, and how much I really LOVE doing it.  Especially with Aric now that he's older!  He is such a smart cookie, and I also realized how much I love teaching my smaller children and all the fun things that can be done with just a few simple activities.  Don't get me wrong, I love teaching the older ones too, but this age is so fun and full of curiosity, wonder, and connections.  We started back with at least 1 activity a day, but as school starts I'd like to work back into doing the tot trays again.

Aaron is not really part of tot school anymore, he's definitely into the preschool phase, but he really liked joining in with Aric's tot activities.

Scooping:  I love this tot activity, and so does Aric.  He and Aaron got a long so well together while doing it I was a little surprised.  And, thankful that the sparkly pompoms stayed pretty well in the bowl.
Here's the spooning...

...but he really liked the tong's the best.


Sorting:  For this activity I knew I wanted him to try out his stacking/nesting blocks, so I had the idea to use his cars with them and make it into a "car garage".  He thought this was pretty fun.  First we stacked the blocks with the open side out.  Then he parked his cars in there.  When cars are involved, this boy loves it!

Here he is sorting...

...and to my surprise he naturally started sorting them by color.  So that led to talking about what colors were in each box.  He caught on and tried intentionally sorting the rest.  Amazing!

Now he's telling me the colors:


Sensory:  Our next activity was playdough.  I wanted to print some playdough mats out, but ran out of time, and couldn't find good ones so I just got some old place mats out.  He did exactly what I was hoping for.  He picked pieces apart to cover parts of the pictures up.

Here he is covering James and percy up with blue playdough.  I also love his cute little hands and fine motor movements in these pictures.  I realized recently that I don't get enough pictures of my kids' hands working things and doing things.  So priceless.

Then he started covering up the letters of the alphabet with playdough so I would tell him the letter as he was working on covering it up.  What a great way to learn his letters, and he really enjoyed this.  I have to say that he's pretty interested in the alphabet right now.  He is starting to notice letters everywhere.  This is very exciting!

Here he has covered a lot more letters, he lasted quite a while on this.  But, at this point he was almost done.


 fine motor: Aric absolutely loves the automoblox, and it had been a while since we got them out so I got those out for our next tot activity.  He could take the wheels off, but needed my help getting the wheels back on.  He also did not like mixing the colors up, and got very upset when I put different colors together to make a different kind of car.

He mostly just liked pushing them around.


Learning toys:  He has really showed an interest in puzzles so I picked up this set of 4 wooden construction puzzles, and boy he didn't let those go until we came home.  First I helped him complete all 4 so he could see how they went together.

Then, I let him try to figure out how to get them together, and tried not to say anything or suggest any different pieces.  This is mostly what he would do.  A few times he would find the right pieces to put together.

But, mostly this is what he did.  Look at those cute little fingers!


Mom's favorite:  Daddy painted his dump truck blue, and he loves it!  He pushes it all over the place, and puts everything in and out of it.  Not nearly as cool as it was when it was yellow.  As a side note, his sister has hers painted pink, and he wouldn't leave hers alone, so that's the story as to how his ended up blue.

I thought it was so cute how he was wearing the same color blue pj's and he was trying to ride his truck.

Can you believe they don't sell this style truck anymore?  We want to get one more in this style for Aaron and paint it for him too.

For more tot school fun go visit Carissa at 1+1+1=1
click on the tot school thumbnail to go straight to tot school.

No comments: