Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The chicken mansion phase 1

First I have to say that having chickens has been such a fun experience for our family so far.  Every time I look at them I still think how cool it is that we have them.  I personally (and the kids too) just think they are so cute, even as they are growing.  I think it is such a joy to have them, but Michele may have something different to say about that since he's been working so hard to build the coop.  It has been taking many weekends to build, but it's almost done!  On to the progress!...

Just some pictures of the coop building process.  These are old pictures.  At this point the coop is actually almost complete, just the roof and door need to be attached and that's it!  I wanted to post these as they happened, but well...that just doesn't happen all the time.  Life happens.  Anyway, here are the front and back panels before they were attached.  Can you see the cool barn style this coop is going to have?P4220957 Then the frame went together.  April stood inside to give you an idea of the size it will be.  Pretty good size compared to some of the store bought ones we were tempted to buy.  The bottom area will be a "run" with wire around it, and the floor of the house will be where wall panels end right there at about April's hips.  They will have a roosting bar up higher as well.
P4231006

this is the front door that will be used to either clean the house, or let the chickens out.  I love the barn style.  It looks even cooler painted red.  I was just informed too that the top part of the door without an x will have a silhouette of a chicken painted in it.  Hubby has truly gone above and beyond what I expected of him for this chicken coop!
P4220958
  And, just to keep with our chicken progress.  Here's another old picture of Black Beak.  This is about 2 weeks ago.  She's even bigger now.  Aaron is so good at holding her.  He has had to figure out a new way to hold her because she's so big now, and I think he's got it down!  He just loves to hold the chickens.
 P4231004

 I have been wondering when the chick's cute little peeps will change into a chicken "cluck".  I haven't really read it anywhere,but then I haven't searched for the answer.  Well, I think I have my answer!  Today I noticed that Lemonade's chirp is getting noticeably deeper and sounding more like a honk.  She sounds like she might have a sore throat, but I think it's because her chicken sound is changing. Interesting!  I wonder if we'll have some clucking going on soon.  Their chirps sure are cute though, I'll miss that.  I hope they don't change too fast. 

Hopefully I'll get the next update soon with the finished pictures!  

Desiree

No comments: