Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Creative writing with paint chips

I found the best creative writing activity!  April absolutely loves it and wants to do it for her writing instead of writing prompts.  I have no problem with that because she has turned out 2 fun stories written on 2 different days.  It's called writing with paint chips, and I first discovered it at Chocolate on my Cranium's blog.  Then I pinned it on pinterest so I wouldn't forget about it.  Cocoa from Chocolate on my cranium did several other creative writing ideas that we might try as well.  We don't get a lot of creative writing in usually.

So, here's what you do:  You get some paint chips from the store with several different colors on it.  Then, you write a story using the names of each color in your story.  For example, here's April's first story.  She had a brown panel of paint chips.  The names of the colors on her paint chips were bon bon, belgian chocolate, tiny teddy, taupe tone, boulder brown, apricot buff, and egyptian papyrus.  Here's her story:

Color brown story

I had just finished doing my bon bon dance when I went to go get some Belgian Chocolate.  It was so good.  I went back home and found my little brother playing with his tiny teddy and my sister listening to a taupe tone CD.  I got in my jeans and went to go ride my horse named boulder brown.  I rode him to the Apricot buff tree.  We had one and it tasted delicious.  Then I put boulder brown in his stall and went inside to read my book titled Egyptian Papyrus.  I had a great time today.

Then, the next day she had blue paint chips.  Her words were dusty miller, newport mist, swan sea, distant thunder, colorado dreamer, common gray, and steel city.  Here's that story:

Color blue

It was dark as night at dusty miller farm in the morning.  It was as pretty as newport mist.  It was time to feed my horses swan sea, distant thunder, and colorado dreamer.  The sky was common gray now.  Even though it would rain today I'm still glad we don't live in the steel city.
Raise your hand if you are surprised that she turned both her stories into horse stories, ha ha.  That's no surprise there, but I thought it was neat to see what she came up with using the paint chips.  I don't have a picture of paint chips themselves, but here is a picture of the turkey's we made using paint chips last month.

PB219486

No comments: