Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

A simple joy: picnic at the farm

scan0270


A while back I used to post once a week (usually Friday's) about something simple that brought me great joy during the week.  I really want to start doing that again.  It really gives me a chance to reflect on my week and try to find the joyful moments because I know that I have many of them, and they are usually from something very simple.  How often those sweet moments of joy get buried in the chaos, laundry, dishes, and noise that happens all week long.  Well, I want to remember as many of those moments as possible, they keep me going when the joy doesn't seem to be anywhere around.

As I was thinking about this I was trying to think of the joyful moment from this past week.  It wasn't coming to me at first (they usually don't).  I mean, I thought of a lot of good things (and many many bad things) that happened this week, but what I was looking for was that moment when everything in the world just seems perfect.  That minute or 5 minutes or half an hour where you just feel like everything is good and right.  Well I'm so glad I thought about it more because I remembered our impromptu picnic at the farm this week!  We have a really neat farm here close to us and I love it.  It sits just outside of town, and it's like a little getaway.

I was out running errands with the boys on Wednesday right before lunch and decided to grab some food and take them out to the farm to play and have lunch.  The sun was coming and going behind some white fluffy clouds, and none were threatening rain so it was nice.  They have a pretty fun play area, and the boys just had a ball.  There was a tractor to sit on, a big stack of tires to climb on, trikes to ride around, tubes to hide in, and more!  They have beautiful flowers all around, and the goats and sheep are just on the other side of the fence.  The boys loved watching the animals.  I was sitting there just watching them play and enjoying the peace, the sounds, the wind, the spring air, and hearing my boys running around laughing.  It truly was one of those joyful moments that day at the farm.

Then we went over to look at the animals after lunch.  It amazes me how kids feel such a connection to animals.  My boys could have been there all day looking at the goats, sheep, bunnies, and chickens.  It's so fun to watch them.  They even got to see 3 baby goats only 1 week old named Hickory, Dickory, and Dock.  I never knew baby goats were so adorable!  Of course I didn't have my camera with me for this trip.  I tried taking some cell phone pictures but gave up quickly.  We were having such a good time I dind't want to worry about pictures.  I was just enjoying time with my boys at a beautiful place.

I know, it's so simple, being at the farm.  But it was a joy to me.

What was your simple joy this week?

I didn't get any pictures from this trip, but...
3065529-R1-029-13
This is an oldie of April (age 2) feeding a goat.  Not the same farm or goats, but very similar in feeling.  So fun to watch kids with the animals!


No comments: