Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Candy school

What do you do with lots of halloween candy, besides eat it?   Well, play with it of course!  I had been planning on doing this since before halloween to get rid of lots of candy that my kids don't really need to eat, and then I saw that walking by the way had put together worksheets and ideas I couldn't believe it!  It was exactly what I was thinking about doing without all the preparations, thanks walking by the way (don't know your name :-).

The kids had loads of fun, they sorted, counted, ate, experimented, ate, and did some writing too!  April loved doing the science experiments, and they kept asking to do more "candy school" even after we were all done.

Here they are getting ready by sorting it all:


Then she did a graph to see how much of each she had:

Here is one of the experiments:  the floating "m" experiment (we could have done floating "s's" too for skittles, but we didn't have any left)

Waiting for the M's to start floating (Yeah, the picture is out of order, oh well):

The caramel dissolving experiment:  put a caramel in hot water and one in cold water and see which one dissolves faster:
 
I had my preschooler make a candy wrapper letter c, which later I cut out and "wrapped" in contact paper:
Here he is making his candy wrapper c (again, not in order):

The float or sink candy experiment:

The acid (sourness) test of a candy:  We had no fun sour candy's to do this experiment on.  This is the most sour thing we had (a now and later) and it didn't even fizz very much.

Aaron decided to dump all his smarties in the water to see what they would do (he's a preschooler, he was having fun):  I was glad that he decided to do that with ALL the smarties then he won't eat them ;-)

But, before he dumped his smarties in the water, we had fun sorting them:



Home schooling one day at a time--as long as it takes

Desiree

3 comments:

ami said...

I'm so glad you had fun with CANDY SCHOOL! :-) I love the candy wrapper C! Very smart. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Ami :)
www.walkingbytheway.com

Jeanette said...

I have seen a few bloggers doing some sort of candy school and I think it is a great idea. I will totally be doing it too next year.

Loralee said...

The wrapper letter C is a great idea. Too bad you didn't have any really sour candy, you may just have to try the experiment with lemon juice. I'm not surprised your son used all his Smarties--my preschooler also enjoys dumping candy in water and goes through it pretty fast.

Good luck with the candy learning!